Ro-Kite floating towing vessel is a new aquatic device designed to replace the functions of a second boom sweep vessel.
The Ro-Kite is a floating water kite based on a combination of trawl door and ram-air parachute principles. When launched, the Ro-Kite, powered by the current and in combination with the Ro-Kite’s unique design, makes it swing out and away from the ship towing the outer end of the sweep formation.
The purpose of this device is to act as a flow powered ‘tow vessel’ for oil boom systems, where strong currents or high speed are factors during an oil spill recovery. Use of the Ro-Kite provides cost-efficient recovery of floating oil as it obviates the need of an extra towing vessel, a jib arm system or, in fast flowing waters, the need of several anchor points.
The Ro-Kite floating towing vessel is manufactured from high quality materials and state of the art technology taken from the world-renowned Ro-Boom oil boom. It is very easy to launch over ship’s side or aft and as a unique feature for the Ro-Kite, it can be deployed from both starboard and port with a minor on-site modification.
The flexible and yet robust materials enable compact storage and secure a very low risk of damage.
Ro-Kite floating towing vessel is available in three basic models – Ro-Kite 2000 is designed for the requirements of the DESMI Speed-Sweep 2000/2200 system and any other sweeping systems with similar force requirements or more. The Ro-Kite 1500 can be used in combination with DESMI Speed-Sweep 1500 and other similar sweeping arrangements.
The Ro-Kite Shallow Draft (SD) is ideal for many areas of operation requiring small draft sweeps e.g. rivers, and shoreline water environment. These standards divide the product into meeting the requirements for the open water, sheltered water, and shoreline/river water environments.
Several unique features of the design:
- ‘Soft’ design that prevents risk of personal injuries by handling
- Easy dismantling and packing for compact storage
- Modular design for easy maintenance
- Robust and non-vulnerable design that allows collision with ship structure – made in synthetic rubber with a CSM (hypalon) external layer – same as our durable Ro-Boom rubber
- Hydrodynamic principles that minimise the required dimensions
- Choice of long term proven materials for oil boom design
- Can be handled manually on deck and can be arranged to be deployed without use of crane
- Possible to deploy from Port and Starboard vessel side
- Simple to deploy
- Can pull DESMI Speed-Sweep including guide booms and DESMI Ro-Skim / DESMI Octopus In-line Skimmer
- Has a very little sensitivity to wave activity
DESMI designs and manufactures an extensive range of systems to recover oil and chemicals from the marine and inland environment. DESMI products include skimmers, booms, storage tanks, power packs, pumps, dispersant systems, vessels and ancillary items.
DESMI’s extensive range of containment booms and oil skimmers supports their oil spill response solutions which are highly trusted in the industry. Whether the requirement is for offshore or shoreline areas; the arctic or equatorial environment, DESMI delivers proven solutions for all spill conditions and offers outstanding life-cycle costs.
Global Spill Control is DESMI’s authorised Australian partner.